Every Word Counts
This is a non-accredited course. However, some modules covered do align with SAQA credits.
During the course delegates will be given a variety of exercises to do as practical reinforcement of the principles learnt. Assessment of delegates will take place throughout the course. At the end of course, a certificate of attendance is issued.
Purpose of this short course:
Having identified the need for change in ECD carers’ approach and teaching methods, we have formulated a course that appeals to a change in behaviour in practitioners and a focus on building language, literacy, and numeracy in children under their care in a classroom environment.
Recipients of this skills course will benefit from:
- Sharing ideas with other ECD practitioners.
- Learning to recycle and use waste materials to make educational toys.
- The practical nature of the workshop gives them a better understanding of how to implement the lessons learnt.
- Understanding the need to change our behaviour when teaching children.
- Not to criticise children but always to encourage and uplift.
- Every opportunity allows us to teach children new concepts.
MODULES COVERED ON THIS COURSE:
Module 1: Talk
- Enjoy good talking time
- Add and use words
- Encourage talking
Module 2: Telling Stories & Sing
- Tell stories
- Sing & Action Rhymes
Module 3: Play
- Water, Sand, Blocks, Puzzles
- Pretend Play
- Counting & Measuring
- Letters & Listening
Module 4: Share Books & Notice Print
- New Words
- Interactive Reading
- Make Books
- Pretend Reading
- Notice Print
Module 5: Draw & Write
- Create time, space & materials
- Build small muscles
- Look then draw
- Emergent Writing